US Ignite is leading a technology pilot program built for the 5G Living Lab at Marine Corps Air Station Miramar (MCAS) in San Diego. The $4 million initiative is funded by the Department of Navy, Naval Information Warfare Center (NIWC) Pacific, and powered by Verizon’s Ultra Wideband network. Pilot technology deployments will address issues from optimizing connectivity to automated transport, energy management, and more.
The goal of the program is to experiment with systems that will improve overall safety and efficiency on base. However, the pilot program also aims to help develop a framework of best practices that will serve smart bases and smart communities across the country. US Ignite has partnered with the University of California San Diego for future data analysis work related to projects piloted at Miramar.
Updates from Miramar
March 2021 – Site Visits
US Ignite is overseeing the development of four key 5G applications that will address operational challenges. From remotely-operated drones to ad hoc 5G networks, four teams demonstrated their working prototypes to Miramar leaders:
- vRotors developed a real-time platform where users can remotely pilot drones or robots. This telemetry-driven mixed reality platform would enable human-machine collaboration.
- GenXComm showcased their TrueRelay 5G Mesh Node Relay Solution that provides multiple advantages for CONUS facility and expeditionary deployments.
- Omnispace demonstrated their 5G non-terrestrial network (NTN) solution that will deliver 5G connectivity on a global scale.
- COMSoverign showed off their 5G application which features a tethered drone that enables isolated operations with no backhaul.
Projects in the Miramar Technology Pilot Program:
- Automated Package Delivery Shuttle
US Ignite began a 90-day pilot in mid-April 2021 to move packages around the base using two Local Motors Olli Shuttles. As the Olli Shuttles transport packages over a fixed two-mile route, MCAS Miramar personnel will gain automated vehicle (AV) experience. Data collected at the end of the pilot period will be uploaded to the on-site Verizon 5G network and transferred to permanent DOD storage for analysis.
- 5G Pitch Competition
US Ignite is overseeing the continued development and a demonstration of four finalist applications selected in the recent 5G pitch day competition hosted by the National Security Innovation Network. The startup teams behind these applications – COMSovereign, GenXComm, Omnispace, and VRotors – will demonstrate working prototypes of their technologies to Marine Corps leaders in the first half of 2021.
- More Coming Soon…
Details on additional pilot projects coming later in 2021. Interested in learning more or partnering with us? Get in touch.