US Ignite (us-ignite.org), a nonprofit public-private partnership based in Washington, DC, seeks a Smart Communities Manager for its several smart and connected community projects headlined by its signature Smart Gigabit Communities (SGC) effort. These projects represent some of the most ambitious and productive smart community efforts in the United States. Since US Ignite’s launch at the White House in 2012, the organization has developed a vibrant innovation network engaging entrepreneurs, larger tech companies, university professors, military bases, and leaders from over thirty city, region, and state communities throughout the United States, Canada, and Australia.
The Smart Communities Manager will be responsible for providing community-building and technical expertise to a portfolio of partners working to improve their community through smart community projects and targeted innovation zones. The Manager will support these communities in designing and delivering smart community projects, applications, and services that leverage technology, improve their community, and drive economic activity.
Great candidates for this position will move easily among governmental, corporate, civic, technology, and entrepreneurial organizations to assemble the capabilities that drive local innovation ecosystems. We seek candidates with positive attitudes and creative minds who can educate, support, and coach partnerships toward realizing their potential.
Other specific responsibilities include
- Suggesting and advising on advanced networking capabilities that serve as the foundation for innovation in smart community services
- Collecting, analyzing, and sharing social and technical best practices among all participating and new communities via presentations, playbooks, and online resources
- Providing expertise in community-building and project management to support the community’s leaders and maintaining an active relationship with project leadership groups
- Providing leadership and assistance to encourage the development and adoption of community-relevant, advanced technology applications and services
The ideal candidate will possess the following competencies, as demonstrated in past and current employment history:
- Self-direction – Ability to prioritize work and be accountable for delivering results within rapidly-changing, occasionally-ambiguous environments.
- Technology expertise – Demonstrated education and experience and familiarity with high-speed networking, Internet of Things (IoT), and edge computing.
- Analytic/data-driven mindset – Strong data analysis skills including creating data visualizations and related reports and presentations.
- Collaboration – Ability to interact well with others across highly motivated staff to make decisions, and integrate multiple perspectives.
- Communication skills – Ability to effectively convey information and express thoughts and facts clearly, orally and in writing; to demonstrate effective use of listening skills; and to display openness to other people’s ideas and thoughts.
- Sociability – Enjoy meeting with many kinds of people (all levels of government, academic, and private sectors) to portray your work and consider it a critical part of the role in change management.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience required in engineering, computer science, public sector, and/or information technology
- Experience with and knowledge of technology relevant to smart community solutions
- Experience and success managing programs and projects in the public or technology sector
- Desire to work full-time in a mission-driven environment
How to Apply
The job will be performed from the US Ignite offices in Washington, DC. Travel to communities and conferences nation-wide will be required. To apply, please send a cover letter and résumé to [email protected]. Responses received by March 8, 2020, will receive full consideration and this posting will remain active until the position is filled.
About US Ignite
US Ignite is accelerating the smart city movement – and creating value for an entire ecosystem – by guiding communities into the connected future, creating a path for private sector growth, and leveraging technology that’s at the heart of smart city development. US Ignite’s annual smart cities conference is the largest in the United States.
US Ignite is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, color, disability, ethnicity, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or status as a U.S. veteran. We warmly welcome diversity and positive attitudes.