The community winners have now been announced! Congratulations to City of Long Beach, CA; City of Raleigh and Town of Cary, NC, hosted by RIoT; and City of Philadelphia, PA.
About the AR Developer Challenge
US Ignite selected three communities to participate in an Augmented Reality Developer Challenge for the development of AR applications designed to solve local problems. In these competitions, communities are tasked to present a problem to entrepreneurs, hackers, makers, developers, and other creative minds with the goal of targeting problems in areas such as healthcare, workforce development, public welfare, and education.
With generous support from Facebook Reality Labs, US Ignite will provide $20,000 in cash to up to three communities in the United States to conduct these AR competitions. Local organizations or municipalities are asked to identify cash or in-kind services from other partners to match the $20,000 for a total of $40,000 in awards and services. Funding will be used for event support, and for awards granted to winning AR developers.
Read about the challenge in StateScoop
Hosts are required to:
- Engage local companies, foundations, or other organizations to match or exceed US Ignite’s $20,000 sponsorship and pitch their challenges to entrepreneurs at the event
- Ensure that at least $34,000 of the combined sponsorship funding goes to developer teams for application development
- Work with the co-sponsors and US Ignite to develop a compelling pitch
- Recruit entrepreneurs/developers capable of building advanced applications to develop new AR applications
- Orient teams and distribute advance materials describing the challenges to entrepreneurs and developers
- Create a final report summarizing the successes of the competition, the winning applications, and best practices learned
These competitions will benefit host communities by:
- Encouraging new local investments and partnerships to leverage US Ignite investments in the local innovation ecosystem
- Engaging more companies and developers in the app creation process
- Meeting core local company needs and resulting in the development of at least two new, smart, advanced applications
- Supporting the local entrepreneurial community